Sleeping Giants – The Case for Emerging Markets (Robeco Webinar)
NOTE: You need to register to see the replay.
- What ‘sleeping giant’ countries, sectors and companies offer the best picks
- Why sustainability is vital when assessing risks in emerging market economies
- How quant techniques can be applied to lower volatility or relative risk
- Stock selection is key, but you can still make money from the right country allocation. You also need to look beyond short term volatility and “stick to your guns.”
- Defensive value stocks e.g. stocks (like telcos, consumer etc) you don’t see in the news who are in the business to survive rather than disrupt.
- Reliance on foreign capital has come down tremendously.
- Currencies are an outcome of underlying macro economic variables and they are also “silent assassins.” So you need to be comfortable with the currency. Over the last 30 years, you would have lost 3% of your return per year due to currency movements.
- You have to be “out of your mind” to do passive in emerging markets when active has won hands down (e.g. China).
- Sustainability data is inconsistent and unreliable – making sustainable investing more challenging.
- Their big allocations are in China, South Korea, Taiwan, India and Brazil. Vietnam is one of the frontier markets they have entered.
- Countries with no domestic investors will be at the mercy of foreign investors and their opinion of the country (e.g. China has negative international opinion right now but many local investors). READ MORE
- Emerging Markets Hit by Record Streak of Withdrawals by Foreign Investors (Financial Times)
- Emerging Market Risk Ranking: Most Vulnerable to the Strongest (FT)
- The Case for Dedicated China Exposure (Cambridge Associates)
- Investing in the Changing Shape of Emerging Markets (Amundi Research)
- Oppenheimer’s Leverenz Blames “Radical Collapse” in FX Markets for Poor Performance (WSJ)
- Why Emerging Markets Are Up to the Stress Test (FP)
- Five Emerging Markets Squeezed by Currency Pegs (Bloomberg)
- Searching for Alpha Consistency in Emerging Market Equities (State Street)
- Is Now the Time to Go Active in Emerging Markets? (FE Trustnet)
- Three Reasons Why Investors Should Buy Frontier Market Stocks (The BlackRock Blog)
- Emerging Market Economies: A Brighter Outlook for 2019? (Hermes)
- Capitalizing on Currencies to Boost Emerging Market Returns (Pictet Asset Management)
- What’s Next for Emerging Markets and the Dubai Stock Market? (Gulf Business)
- Emerging Market Links + The Week Ahead (December 5, 2022)
- How MSCI’s Global Investable Market Indexes Methodology Influences Trillions of Dollars (Kraneshares)