Previously, there were two long-standing NYSE listed Latin America closed-end funds that offered investors exposure to the Latin American region.
The Aberdeen Latin America Equity Fund, Inc (NYSE: LAQ) was a long standing closed-end fund that invested in Latin American equity securities. However and in April 2018, the Aberdeen Emerging Markets Equity Income Fund, Inc (NYSE: AEF) completed the reorganizations of several emerging market closed-end funds:
- Aberdeen Emerging Markets Smaller Company Opportunities Fund, Inc. (“ABE”)
- Aberdeen Israel Fund, Inc. (“ISL”)
- Aberdeen Indonesia Fund, Inc. (“IF”)
- Aberdeen Latin America Equity Fund, Inc. (“LAQ”)
- Aberdeen Singapore Fund, Inc. (“SGF”)
- Aberdeen Greater China Fund, Inc. (“GCH”)
- The Asia Tigers Fund, Inc. (“GRR”)
- Aberdeen Chile Fund, Inc. (“CH”)
All funds were merged into the Aberdeen Chile Fund, Inc and the consolidated fund was renamed the Aberdeen Emerging Markets Equity Income Fund, Inc trading on the NYSE American Exchange under the ticker symbol “AEF.”
In addition, The Latin American Discovery Fund Inc (NYSE: LDF) was liquidated in 2020.
Latin America Closed-End Funds List (Region Wide)*
|Closed End Fund||Ticker||Exchange||Manager/Advisor||Type||Inception|
|1||Aberdeen Latin America Equity Fund, Inc (reorg. abrdn Emerging Markets Equity Income Fund, Inc)||LAQ||Reorganized||Aberdeen Asset Management Inc||Equity||1991/10/30 - 2018/04/27 Reorganized|
|2||Latin American Discovery Fund Inc||LDF||Liquidated||Morgan Stanley Investment Management||Equity||1992/06/23 - 2020 Liquidated|
* EmergingMarketSkeptic.com provides useful information that should not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to invest. In addition, your use of any content is entirely at your own risk and it is your sole responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of the content. Read More
Note: If there are any closed-end funds to add or remove from this list or if there are bad links, please write a note in the comments section so it can be fixed. Likewise, adding any other comments or advice would also be appreciated.
In addition to the above list of Latin America closed-end funds, check out our complete list of Latin America ADRs, Caribbean ADRs (including Bahamas ADRs, Bermuda ADRs, Cayman Islands ADRs and Puerto Rico Stocks), Central America ADRs (including Mexico ADRs and Panama ADRs) and South America ADRs (including Argentina ADRs, Bolivia ADRs, Brazil ADRs, Chile ADRs, Colombia ADRs, Ecuador ADRs, Peru ADRs and Venezuela ADRs) as well as our BICK ETF list, BRIC ETF list, Latin America ETF list, Caribbean ETF list, Central America ETF list, Mexico ETF list, Latin America ETF (Region Wide) list and South America ETF lists (including Argentina ETF list, Brazil ETF list, Chile ETF list, Colombia ETF list and Peru ETF list).
For additional resources for investing in Latin America in general, check out all of our Latin America tagged articles/links.