Despite the fact that Dubai and Abu Dhabi are important financial and business centers for the Persian Gulf region and the entire Middle East, there were initially only a couple of UAE ADRs trading on the OTC. Then again, UAE stock markets were only established at the turn of the millennium back in 2000.
Today, there are four NYSE or NASDAQ listed UAE ADRs or stocks: Abu Dhabi based Anghami Inc (NASDAQ: ANGH) operates a digital music entertainment technology platform in the Middle East and North Africa; Fujairah based Brooge Energy Limited (NASDAQ: BROG) provides oil storage and related services at the Port of Fujairah; Dubai based Swvl Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: SWVL) provides mass transit ridesharing services; and Dubai based Yalla Group Limited (NYSE: YALA) operates a voice-centric social networking and entertainment platform in the Middle East and North Africa region.
Among UAE stocks with OTC listings, the following UAE ADRs are worth mentioning:
- Al Noor Hospitals Group plc (OTCMKTS: ANHGY) was listed on the London Stock Exchange until it merged with South Africa based Mediclinic International (OTCMKTS: ANHGY) in a transaction which valued Al Noor Hospitals at £1.4 billion (US$2.1 billion) in February 2016.
- Network International Holdings (OTCMKTS: NWITY) provides technology-enabled payments solutions to merchants and financial institutions in the middle east. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Investors interested in investing in UAE ADRs should also check out our complete list of Middle East closed-end funds as well as our UAE ETF list, Middle East/Africa ETF list and Middle East ETF list (including Middle East ETF Region Wide and Qatar ETF lists) as some region wide ETFs or closed-end funds may invest in UAE stocks.
Note: Stocks delisted from the OTC (whether due to mergers, acquisitions or for other reasons) have been left in the table (as their websites still provide a good feel for the company and the local market) and may still trade on local or important European (e.g. London, Amsterdam etc) stock exchanges. They may also be holdings of country or region specific ETFs or Indices.
List of UAE ADRs Trading on Major US Stock Exchanges & the Over-the-Counter (OTC) Exchange
|Al Noor Hospitals Group plc (now Mediclinic International)
|Brooge Energy Limited
|Oil & Gas
|Dragon Oil plc
|Oil & Gas
|Oil & Gas
|Network International Holdings plc
|Swvl Holdings Corp
|Consumer Services (Ridesharing)
|Yalla Group Limited
* EmergingMarketSkeptic.com provides useful information that should not constitute investment advice or a recommendation to invest. In addition, your use of any content is entirely at your own risk and it is your sole responsibility to evaluate the accuracy, completeness and usefulness of the content. Read More
Note: If there are any ADRs to add or remove from this list or there are bad links, please write a note in the comments section so it can be fixed. Likewise, adding any other comments or advice would also be appreciated.
United Arab Emirates (UAE) Stock Exchanges
There are three UAE stock exchanges:
- Dubai Financial Market (DFM) was founded in March 2000 with most listings being UAE-based companies plus a few dual listings for companies based in other Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region countries.
- Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX) was founded in November 2000 to trade shares of UAE companies.
- NASDAQ Dubai was founded in September 2005 to list regional and international shares in the Middle East.
Here are some useful and mostly English news resources for investing in UAE ADRs or stocks or about the United Arab Emirates in general:
- Emirates 24/7
- Gulf Business
- Gulf Times
- Khaleej Times
- The Arabian Post
- The Gulf Today
- The National
For additional resources for investing in United Arab Emirates (UAE) ADRs or stocks, check out all of our UAE tagged articles/links.