Mark Mobius, the executive chairman of the Templeton Emerging Markets Group, is considered the guru of emerging market investing, but how has his performance been against more passively managed emerging market funds? A CBS MoneyWatch article recently used data from Morningstar to review the returns of the Templeton Developing Markets Trust Class A (MUTF: TEDMX) verses the returns of two passively managed funds, the Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund Investor Shares (MUTF: VEIEX) and the DFA Emerging Markets Portfolio Institutional Class (MUTF: DFEMX). This is what was found:
Templeton Developing Markets Trust Class A’s performance actually earned Morningstar’s dreaded one-star rating.
In addition, the performance of the Templeton Emerging Markets Small Cap Fund Class A (MUTF: TEMMX) was compared against the returns of the similar DFA Emerging Markets Small Cap Portfolio Institutional Class (MUTF: DEMSX):
While the Templeton Emerging Markets Small Cap Fund Class A outperformed the DFA Emerging Markets Small Cap Portfolio Institutional Class over a three years period, the latter outperformed it over the one and five year periods.
To read the whole article, Index investing still wins in emerging markets, go to the website of CBS MoneyWatch.
- Why Small Cap Emerging Market Funds Win Big and How to Pick the Right Fund (Barron’s)
- Fundsmith Unveils an Investment Trust Targeting Emerging Market Consumers (FT)
- Emerging Market Small Caps: Hidden Gems in Plain Sight? (Wellington Management)
- No Emerging Markets Crisis According to Mark Mobius (FE Trustnet)
- Prudent Ways to Invest in Frontier Markets (WSJ)
- Terry Smith: Emerging Markets to Outperform Over the Long-term But Brace for Volatility (FE Trustnet)
- Oppenheimer’s Leverenz Blames “Radical Collapse” in FX Markets for Poor Performance (WSJ)
- Emerging Market Closed-End Funds List
- Emerging Market Small Cap ETF List
- Mark Mobius: Biggest Risks Facing Emerging Market Funds (FE Trustnet)
- Are Frontier Markets a Viable Alternative to Underperforming Emerging Markets? (PA)
- Obscure Stocks Make the Baron Emerging Markets Fund a Winner (Kiplinger)
- Emerging Markets vs Japan: Which Offers the Most Value? (Citywire)
- Meet the Emerging Market Fund Manager Who Is the Antithesis of Mark Mobius (NYT)
- Four Reasons Why We Think Emerging-Market Fears Are Overblown (Franklin Templeton)