Meat Scandal Sees McDonald’s Sales Drop 7.2% in Emerging Markets (SCMP)
The rotten meat scandal at a Shanghai factory owned by Shanghai Husi Food, whose parent is the US-based OSI Group, has hit customer McDonald’s bottom line, with sales in the Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa dropping 7.2% last month. The company said in its monthly sales report the steep decline was caused by the impact of food-quality and safety issues at a food supplier in China and it should be noted that China and Japan accounted for 10% of annual global sales.
Sales in Africa, Asia and the Middle East had increased 1.1% for the second quarter of this year – which had prompted bullish assessments by McDonald’s executives of its growth prospects in emerging markets such as China.
To read the whole article, Meat scandal sees McDonald’s sales drop 7.2 per cent in emerging markets, go to the website of the South China Morning Post. In addition, see: Where does the truth lie in McDonald’s ‘lack of clarity’ ? and Statements from the OSI Group Regarding Shanghai Husi.
- Emerging Market Investors Need to Think Beyond Investing in the BRICs (II)
- 3 Emerging Market Risks Companies Should Watch for in 2018 (Harvard Business Review)
- P&G: Betting on China, But Vulnerable to FX Fluctuations (USA Today)
- Five Key Trends Driving China’s eCommerce Market (Nielsen)
- Asia is Home to 50% of World’s Fastest Growing Companies (Nikkei Asian Review)
- What Goes Up: China’s Employment Crisis (J Capital Research)
- Where to Find Opportunities in Emerging Markets (BlackRock)
- Blocked in the West, Huawei Eyes Emerging Markets (Asia Times)
- Asian Banks Are Nibbling the Lunches of Global Banks (CCTV)
- False Narratives: Rise of the Emerging Market Middle Class (Advisor Perspectives)
- Korea & Taiwan Use Renminbi for Majority of Payments with China & Hong Kong (The Asset)
- Dead Sheep, Dumped Crops as China Covid Rules Hit (Bloomberg Supply Lines Newsletter)
- 2014 BCG Local Dynamos: 50 Emerging Market Consumer Companies to Watch (BCG)
- Emerging Markets in the East Converging With Developed Markets in the West (Create Research)
- Housebound Consumers Lift Lenovo to Record Revenues & Profits (HKEXnews)
Leave a Reply