Arif Naqvi, the CEO of the Abraaj Group which invest in the emerging markets of Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East, has written a great piece (It’s Time for Emerging Markets Investors to Think Outside the BRIC) for Institutional Investor that gives the following reasons why investors need to look beyond BRIC countries:
- Brazil’s budgetary and political issues as it gets ready for the World Cup and the Olympics.
- Russia’s annexation of the Crimea, subsequent sanctions and the potential impact on oil and gas exports.
- India’s “suffocating bureaucracy and glacial decision making” that plaques the Indian economy.
- China’s structural economy and concerns about shadow banking.
However and move beyond the BRIC countries, Naqvi sees opportunities in a wide range of African, Asian, Latin American and Middle East markets and especially in countries with increasing populations of young, urban consumers with rising incomes. He also cited what he calls, the “sturdy seven:”
- Health Care
- Financial Services
- Consumer Products
- Retail Operations
To read the whole article, It’s Time for Emerging Markets Investors to Think Outside the BRIC, go to the website of Institutional Investor.
- Artemis’ Edelsten: Emerging Markets are Expensive With the Exception of China (What Investment)
- India ETF Flows Touch $1.5 Billion, Highest Among its BRIC Peers (Economic Times)
- China Still Leads the BRICs in the Global Competitiveness Report
- Investor Sentiment Survey: What Emerging Market Investors Think (Franklin Templeton)
- Emerging Markets in the East Converging With Developed Markets in the West (Create Research)
- Why Emerging Market Refrigerators Contain Cold Hard Economic Data (II)
- Key Findings: Credit Suisse Emerging Markets Consumer Survey
- Margetts’ Ricketts: Low Oil Prices Mean Asia and Emerging Market Funds Can Keep Rallying (FE Trustnet)
- New Fragile Five Facing a Forex Crisis: Argentina, Brazil, South Africa, Ukraine & Venezuela (Institutional Investor)
- Mark Mobius’s Emerging Markets Outlook (WSJ)
- Pick Stocks, Not Countries, in Emerging Markets (FE Trustnet)
- False Narratives: Rise of the Emerging Market Middle Class (Advisor Perspectives)
- Which Emerging Markets Have the Most Leveraged Stocks? (Bloomberg)
- The State of Big Emerging Markets on One Giant Map (BI)
- BRICs Morphing Into an Anti-dollar Alliance (MT)