Fitch Ratings says that continued weakness in the VIP casino gaming segment has contributed to a reduction in the full year 2014 Macau gaming revenue forecast to 4% – down from a forecast of 10% which was already reduced in mid-July from an initial forecast of 12%. Nevertheless, Fitch still concludes that long-term fundamentals remain strong.
The new forecast incorporates the balance of the year’s growth for mass, VIP and slots of +15%, -15% and +5%, respectively. This equates to 3.5% monthly declines for the remainder of the year, which is consistent with the past two reported months. YTD revenue is up 8%. Fitch’s assumptions take into account the smoking ban on the mass floors going into effect next month, lack of new supply and tough 2013 comparisons for the balance of the year (mass and VIP were up 44% and 18%, respectively, in Q4 last year).
The VIP segment has been pressured recently by tightening of junket credit and the corruption crackdown on mainland China. They think these pressures are temporary and expect Macau’s VIP gaming segment to turn back positive in early 2015 as YoY comps get easier and as the mentioned pressures subside, although the exact timing is hard to handicap. Weak temporary VIP trends also occurred in 2012, during the transition of power to Xi Jinping from Hu Jintao.
Fitch remains positive on the mass market side and expects monthly YoY revenue increases in the 10%-20% range in this segment through first-half 2015 until Melco Crown and Galaxy complete their Cotai projects midyear. At that point, Fitch expects acceleration in mass growth, which will largely depend on the number of table games these projects are allocated and on their ability to hire and train adequate number of dealers.
To read the whole press release, Macau Gaming Revenue Forecast Cut to 4% on VIP Weakness, go to the website of Fitch Ratings.
- Wynn Palace Will Outperform Other Macau Casino Developments (Fitch)
- Fitch Ratings: More Negative on Macau Casino Gaming Near-to-Medium Term Prospects
- The World Cup Will Likely Hit Macau Gaming Revenue Growth (Macau Business Daily)
- Are Macau’s Casino Gamblers Reloading for the October Holidays? (MBD)
- Macau Casino Boom-Bust Cycle in One Chart (Bloomberg)
- Macau Visitor Numbers Will Keep Growing (GGRAsia)
- Sanford Bernstein: Mass Market is Macau Casino Gaming’s Future (GGRAsia)
- Why Two Fund Managers Still Believe in Macau Casino Stocks (FE Trustnet)
- Why Macau Won’t Unseat Las Vegas Any Time Soon (FitchRatings)
- Nomura: “Slow Grind” Recovery Needed for Macau
- Sheldon Adelson: Macau VIP Gamers “Below the Radar” Until “Witch-hunt” Levels Off (Macau Daily Times)
- Macau Casino Smoking Ban: Nightclubs to the Rescue? (GGRAsia)
- Macau Casino Stocks are Entering a “Multi-year Earnings Decline Cycle” (GGRAsia)
- Understanding the Macau Casino Junket System & Why Its on a Losing Streak (WSJ)
- Moody’s Downgrades Macao to Aa3 with Negative Outlook (Moody’s)