Macau Visitor Numbers Will Keep Growing (GGRAsia)
In what should translate into some good news for the Macau casino gaming sector, the Macau Government Tourist Office head Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes has been quoted by GGRAsia as saying visitor growth is expected to remain at “around a single-digit rate” for the next few years. This potentially means more casino gamers – especially in the profitable mass market segment.
Macau logged over 18 million visitor arrivals during the first seven months of 2014, up by 8% year-on-year while the city welcomed 29.3 million tourists in 2013, an annual increase of 4.4% after flat growth in 2012.
Visitor arrivals are growing despite new transit visa restrictions introduced in July that analysts say are having an adverse impact on VIP and premium casino gaming visitors.
In addition, Macau is welcoming more visitors from further afield rather than just neighboring Guangdong province in China. The Macau International Airport Company Limited (CAM) has reported a record 520,000 passenger arrivals during August, representing a 7% increase from the same period last year. In the first eight months of 2014, a total of 3.6 million passengers have been processed, up by 10% year-on-year.
CAM also said routes between the city and mainland China as well as Southeast Asia have continued their good performance with August increases of 13% and 6.5%, respectively, year-on-year. A direct flight service between Macau and Tianjin is scheduled to be launched on September 6 plus a new airline will launch flights between Macau and Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia, in mid-September.
To read the whole articles, Macau visitor numbers to continue growing: govt and MIA posts record figures for August, go to the website of GGRAsia and the Macau Business Daily. In addition, check out: Are Macau’s Casino Gamblers Reloading for the October Holidays? (MBD)
- The World Cup Will Likely Hit Macau Gaming Revenue Growth (Macau Business Daily)
- Analyst: Macau Casinos Possible Chinese Buy Out Targets (GGRAsia)
- Sanford Bernstein: Mass Market is Macau Casino Gaming’s Future (GGRAsia)
- MGM Exec: Selling MGM China Stake Would be Bad Idea (GGRAsia)
- Macau Casino Smoking Ban: Nightclubs to the Rescue? (GGRAsia)
- Why Two Fund Managers Still Believe in Macau Casino Stocks (FE Trustnet)
- Macau Casino Stocks are Entering a “Multi-year Earnings Decline Cycle” (GGRAsia)
- Are Macau’s Casino Gamblers Reloading for the October Holidays? (MBD)
- Why Macau Won’t Unseat Las Vegas Any Time Soon (FitchRatings)
- Macau Casino Boom-Bust Cycle in One Chart (Bloomberg)