The Golden Era for Investing Could Be Ending (Bloomberg)
A new McKinsey Global Institute (MGI) report, Diminishing returns: Why investors may need to lower their expectations, finds that the forces that have driven exceptional returns are weakening, and in some cases reversing. The consulting company maintains that the last 30 years have been a “golden era” of exceptional inflation-adjusted returns thanks to a confluence of factors that won’t be repeated, including falling inflation and interest rates, swelling corporate profits and an expanding price-earnings ratio in the stock market.
Moreover, U.S. and European corporations will find it harder to boost profits in the face of stepped-up competition from Asian and other emerging market companies as well as from smaller businesses able to tap into the global market through the Internet.
This means that investors of all ages need to resign themselves to diminished gains.
The report includes a number of interesting charts, graphs and the following infographic:
For further reading, see End of Golden Era for Investors Spells Troubles for Millennials, and Why investors may need to lower their sights, on the websites of Bloomberg and McKinsey Global Institute, respectively.
- The “Next 15″ Will Drive 80% of Emerging Market Growth by 2025 (Luxury Daily)
- Asia Infrastructure Investment Returns Are Shrinking (FinanceAsia)
- Miners From Emerging Markets Outperform Peers From Developed Countries (PwC)
- UBS’s Raphael: A Hard Time For Emerging Markets Investing (Bloomberg)
- Terry Smith: Emerging Markets to Outperform Over the Long-term But Brace for Volatility (FE Trustnet)
- How China has Dragged Down Investor Returns Over the Past Decade (Forbes India)
- Fall 2021 China Internet Earnings Report: Baidu on AI, Autonomous Driving, & An Open Internet Marketplace (KraneShares)
- What Goes Up: China’s Employment Crisis (J Capital Research)
- Pick Stocks, Not Countries, in Emerging Markets (FE Trustnet)
- Investing in Emerging and Frontier Markets: An Investor Viewpoint (World Federation of Exchanges)
- China Offers Tax Incentives to Persuade U.S. Companies to Stay (NYT)
- China Internet Flash Report: 2015 & Beyond + an Overview of 2014 Results (KraneShares)
- Are There Greater Opportunities In Asia’s Frontier Markets Than in China? (FT)
- PM Capital’s Bertoli: Now is an Attractive Entry Point for Asian Stocks (AFR)
- Best Consumer Stocks for Emerging Market Investors (Morningstar)