According to a lengthy New York Observer article, the USA is known as the “United States of Pindostan” in Russia while President Obama is referred to as “Maximka” – neither are compliments. The word “pindos” in Russian is highly offensive as it refers to a helpless creature who is a product of a very bad educational system and who can only survive in this world only with the help of various gadgets while the “stan” stands for an underdeveloped state like “Pakistan,” “Kazakhstan” or “Uzbekistan.”
As for “Maximka,” he was a character from a 1952 Soviet movie which tells the story of a black boy saved by Russian sailors from the cruelty of American slave-traders who were abusing him and calling him just “Boy.” The saved boy ends up being well fed by the Russian crew, given the name Maximka and becomes one of their own in the end.
The article goes on to note that according to the respected Moscow “Levada Center,” which measures political sentiment in Russian society, 74% of Russians have negative feelings towards the USA whereas back in the 1990s, 80% had a positive attitude towards America. In addition, 76% of Russians hate President Obama personally and only 2% like him. In 2009, only 12% of Russians had extremely negative feelings towards him.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail has reported that Russian shops are showing their anti-US sentiment by putting out American flag doormats for customers to wipe their feet on:
To read the whole articles, Russians Rage Against America: Enduring Sanctions, Anger Turns to Hate: Racist Names for Obama and Putin Disses Coca-Cola and The stores and stripes: Russian shops show their anti-US sentiment by putting out American flag doormats for customers to wipe their feet on, go to the website of the New York Observer and the Daily Mail, respectively.
- Putin Wants to Help Coca-Cola’s Russian Competitors (NY Observer)
- In “Targeted Sanctions,” Putin Spanks Obama at a Russian Art Gallery (Reason.com)
- Gift Ideas: A £2,500 Gold iPhone with Vladimir Putin’s Face Engraved On It (Telegraph)
- Russia Pivoted East to Asia 800 Years Before Obama (MT)
- Who Are Russia’s Middle Class? Some Facts and Figures (MT)
- Gazprombank GPB Hires Former Senators Lott and Breaux to Fight Russia Sanctions (CPI)
- Comparing Putin’s vs Michelle Obama’s China Trips: 40+ Business Deals vs. What?
- Russia: Tread Cautiously Into 2021 (Wellington Management)
- Japan’s Exports of Sanctions-exempt Used Vehicles to Russia Surge (Kyodo News)
- State Street Global Advisors’ CIO: Russia Stocks Could See Further Selloffs (FE Trustnet)
- EXPLAINER: What’s the Impact of a Russian Debt Default? (AP)
- FATCA Fallout: Russia’s #2 Bank VTB to Stop Servicing Russia-Based US Clients (MT)
- Coutts CIO: Russian Stocks Now Appear Attractive (FE Trustnet)
- Russian Equities are at “Too Big a Discount” (CNBC)
- The Economic Impact of a Boycott on Russian Fossil Fuels (RaboResearch)