Apocalypse Now For Investors? A Realistic Vietnam Investment Review
The Economist has entitled a story about Vietnam as “A tiger at bay,” but perhaps a more thorough Vietnam investment review would have led to the title “Apocalypse Now” – especially since the Market Vectors Vietnam ETF (VNM) is the only easy way for American investors to invest in the country right now and that ETF contains a few (unwanted) surprises for risk adverse investors. More adventurous investors could invest in VinaCapital (VCVOF.PK), which manages the following three closed-end funds: The VinaCapital Vietnam Opportunity Fund Limited (VOF), VinaLand Limited (VNL) and Vietnam Infrastructure Limited (VNI). However, those Vietnam closed-end funds trade on the AIM Market of the London Stock Exchange which largely places them out of reach for most American investors trading with discount brokerage accounts.
So why could Vietnam be an “Apocalypse Now” for investors at this point in time? Let me first tell you about my experience living and working in Vietnam so that you can decide for yourself whether Vietnam is the best emerging market to invest in right now and then why Vietnam investments like the Market Vectors Vietnam ETF may not be your best emerging market ETF choice.
To read more, go to the complete article on our SeekingAlpha page by clicking here. Likewise and if you want to read our other articles about the Market Vectors Vietnam ETF (VNM), Vietnam closed-end funds or about investing in Vietnam in general, visit our Vietnam tag here.
- Vietnam Closed End Funds: Improving Outlook & Attractive Valuations (Numis)
- Vietnamese Verses Chinese Retail Investors (AFC)
- Russell Frontier Markets Equity Fund’s Manager Sees Neglected Gems (WSJ)
- Trade War Steers Chinese Investment Toward Southeast Asia (Nikkei Asian Review)
- Speculators And Hit-And-Runs: Investing in Indonesia
- Vietnam: Tail of the Dragon (Mirae Asset)
- Vietnam: In a Sweet Spot (AFC Asia Frontier Fund)
- Vietnam Economy Grows Nearly 7% on Trade War Tailwinds (Nikkei Asian Review)
- Private Equity Floods into Southeast Asia (Nikkei Asian Review)
- Vietnam’s Economy is Firing on All Cylinders (Eaton Vance)