China: Navigating the Regulatory Landscape (UBS AM)
Key UBS AM takeaways
- China has delivered on its promise to open up its financial markets, and as a result foreign investment flows have been very strong in the past few years.
- Chinese equity and bond markets have declined significantly since the introduction of government regulations across a broad range of sectors. We are at a juncture as the economy decelerates and investors worry about policy risk.
- The current backdrop, taking into account structural changes to the economy, elevated levels of volatility and valuation spreads, we believe is a good environment for stock pickers and alternative asset classes.
- While we have seen sharp drawdowns in Chinese equities, in our view current valuations imply that most of the concerns are already discounted in the market. If government policies are adjusted in the coming months, we expect this to be positive for Chinese equity markets.
- Valuations in the Chinese high yield market are now at record lows however, this does not stem from a negative macro backdrop, which is a positive for high yield investors and, in our view, could present an attractive entry point into the asset class.
- Chinese onshore government bonds look attractive versus other government bonds, where central banks are looking to taper their bond purchase programs and/or raise rates. READ MORE
- Uncommon Yields: How China is a Rare Bright Spot in a World Deprived of Yield (KraneShares)
- What Hong Kong Dollar Bond Exposure Means to Investors (The Asset)
- BNP Paribas’ Chi Lo: Patient Investors Should Build Up China Exposure Now (CMN)
- 2021 Midyear Asia Fixed Income Outlook: Fundamentals Trump fears (PineBridge Investments)
- Investors Rethink Emerging Market ETFs (FT)
- Understanding China’s Onshore Equity Market Rally (KraneShares)
- Deutsche Bank: Emerging Market Rally is a False Dawn (Barron’s)
- Evergrande Explained (KraneShares)
- Nikko AM’s Sartori: Best Buying Opportunities in Asia in My Career (AFR)
- China to South America: Consumer Technology Growth in Emerging Markets (KraneShares)
- Barclays: China Fears Being Overplayed (FT Adviser)
- Why China Will Lose a Trade War With Trump (The Daily Beast)
- Understanding China’s Economic and Market Developments: Managing China’s Transition into Global Benchmarks (FTSE Russell)
- Templeton’s Chow: “No Reason the Goat and the Bull Cannot be Friends” (Mobius Blog)
- PM Capital’s Bertoli: Now is an Attractive Entry Point for Asian Stocks (AFR)