The Malay Dilemma: Is the Malaysia ETF a Safe Emerging Market Investment?
If western investors ever think of Malaysia, they probably think of the Petronas Towers, the sodomy trials of opposition leader Anwar bin Ibrahim and controversial former Prime Minister Mahathir bin Mohamad instead of the “The Malay Dilemma,” the latter’s just as controversial book that has largely set the country’s course for the past 40 years. It doesn’t help when the iShares MSCI Malaysia Index Fund ETF (EWM) is the only easy way for most western investors to invest in Malaysia – making the country Southeast Asia’s forgotten emerging market.
However, Malaysia may soon be on the radar of western media and investors alike again this year because the Barisan Nasional (BN), the coalition of political parties that has ruled Malaysia for 54+ years, must hold elections by the end of June. Moreover, Malaysia’s large Chinese and Indian minority populations along with both liberal and Malay Islamic conservatives are restive for change.
But before you consider investing in Malaysia or the iShares MSCI Malaysia Index Fund ETF, it would be a good idea to have a more thorough understanding of what “The Malay Dilemma” is along with the country’s current political situation.
To read more, go to the complete article on our SeekingAlpha page. Likewise and if you are interested in our other articles about the iShares MSCI Malaysia Index Fund ETF or about investing in Malaysia, visit our Malaysia tagged articles here. In addition, check out our Malaysia ADR list and Malaysia ETF list pages.
- Malaysian Elections: Will The Malaysia ETF Rally or Sink?
- Falling Oil Prices Puts a Spotlight on Malaysia’s Debt (Reuters)
- Fortune Magazine: Seven Emerging Markets to Invest in Now
- The Singapore Story: Not a Sure Thing for Investors?
- MSCI Islamic Total Return Index vs. MSCI Emerging Markets Total Return Index (Mobius Blog)
- The Shutdown Bangkok Protests: How Safe of an Investment is Thailand?
- Investing in Malaysia ETF / Malaysia ETF List
- Malaysia Can Draw Up to $33b in Rare Earth Investment Over Next 10 Years (Straits Times)
- Malaysia on Track to Developed Country Status — But Has Far to Go (Nikkei Asian Review)
- Are There Greater Opportunities In Asia’s Frontier Markets Than in China? (FT)
- The Emerging Asia Pacific Capital Markets: Malaysia (CFA Institute)
- What Happens if Malaysia is Removed From the FTSE World Bond Index? (The Asset)
- Which Countries Are Most Influenced By China? (Oilprice.com)
- Emerging Markets: Why Politics Matter in 2018 (Hermes)
- Speculators And Hit-And-Runs: Investing in Indonesia
Emerging Market Links + The Week Ahead (November 14, 2022) - Emerging Market Skeptic November 14th, 2022 at 6:43 pm
[…] Substack. In addition, I had written Malaysian Elections: Will The Malaysia ETF Rally or Sink? and The Malay Dilemma: Is the Malaysia ETF a Safe Emerging Market Investment? for Seeking Alpha almost a decade ago for further perspectives. (Also see our lists: Malaysia ADRs […]